[REACT-LIST] Practice Vital

Paul - W4ATN Paul at W4ATN.com
Tue May 30 13:01:29 EDT 2017

Ron, et. al.

I think all of this just underscores the need for MODERN training, standard
terminology and plain language all of which FEMA and most of the groups we
support are doing. I know many of us work with our local Emergency Managers,
Fire & Police Departments and hospitals. We should be modeling ourselves,
our teams and REACT International after these models. Even in healthcare we
use the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS). When our CERT is working
with our city and county we are included in the Incident Action Plan (IAP)
which uses all of the ICS forms. Our CERT (and ARES / RACES) frequencies are
listed on ICS-205. The city uses ICS-213 (message) slightly different than I
think it was planned. It is used for last minute communications for things
such as weather, safety updates and "general" communications as part of the
IAP.

ALL of our county agencies use ICS including health, roads, parks, public
utilities and even our local electric company. AAACERT, REACT, ARES and
RACES members are also encouraged to attend the ICS classes with the county
agencies and it has improved our standing in the "community" greatly. Our
county hasn't used 10 codes or "signals" in over a decade or more. I heard a
FF use "10-4" a couple of weeks ago on an event that I was participating and
the Battalion Chief chewed him a new one! Granted, the BC is an ICS
instructor.

If we want to be taken seriously by the agencies that we want to support we
need to be professional and adapt to standardization. I think RI should
REQUIRE this of all members and teams. I think we should REQUIRE a minimum
of ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS-700 and either the ARRL Emergency Communications
course or the DHS AuxComm course. Also, let's get off of this idea that we
are a "communicator" and refuse to do "other duties as assigned."

In addition to the above we need to LOOK professional. If your team has a
uniform - require it and wear it. If no formal uniform then a professional
dress code to include proper body hygiene! Need I even mention using alcohol
when activated??!!

I know that I will be meet with resistance by many of our members and teams
on these issues but, I'd rather work with a few real professionals (yes
Volunteers ARE professionals) than a bunch of yahoo's who represent
themselves and their organizations poorly. I think these should be policies
from RI and enforced to the members and teams. If the individual or team
doesn't want to follow - oh well, "nice know'n ya!"

We should be having monthly (at a minimum) training to include not only
lecture but tabletop, functional and full-scale exercises. These should be
IN ADDITION to those from the agencies we support.

Paul

Paul - W4ATN

FM18qw

ARRL Life Member