[REACT-LIST] There use to be a Group Call REACT Back in the 70s 80s and 90s

Paul - W4ATN Paul at W4ATN.com
Sun Dec 24 09:49:42 EST 2017

I want to clarify one statement. Second paragraph first sentence. When I say
"As a REACT team we are not growing." I'm referring to our team ONLY as
indicated in the remainder of the paragraph.

Paul

Paul - W4ATN

FM18qw

ARRL Life Member

From: REACT-LIST [mailto:react-list-bounces at lists.reactintl.net] On Behalf
Of Paul - W4ATN
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 09:00
To: 'Jay WA4JAY REACT Unit-1' <react-unit-14 at hotmail.com>; 'react_irlp_net'
<react_irlp_net at yahoogroups.com>; 'REACT LIST'
<react-list at lists.reactintl.net>; reactcommunications at yahoogroups.com;
reactintl at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [REACT-LIST] There use to be a Group Call REACT Back in the 70s
80s and 90s

Jay,

With the advent of cell phones, digital communications via email, twitter,
Facebook, snapchat, etc., etc., the need for CB and amateur radio have
declined over the years. It used to be the only communications the "common"
person had access to from the vehicle was CB. Now it is estimated that 95%
of all Americans have a cell phone. I don't think that CB hit those numbers
even CB was at it height of popularity. In addition, all mobile radios have
limited range, not secure, noisy and unlimited amount of foul language and
just plain rude people why have a CB? I think it is much less in less
populated areas however, I live in the Baltimore - Washington area and
although I own several CBs, none are in my vehicle and the one I have in the
house is disconnected. The reason, see above. I think it is still a
potentially valuable means of communications in an emergency. I can connect
my CB at the base up in about 10 mins or less and install one in my car in
about the same amount of time.

As a REACT team we are not growing and unfortunately actually shrinking.
Last year we had one of our members to become SK and this year one of our
members has not yet paid their dues. That still leaves us with sufficient
members to be a team but barely! When talking to others about becoming a
REACT member question is "what does REACT offer that I'm not getting from
XXXX radio club" or "what does REACT offer that I'm not doing with CERT". I
don't really know how to answer that. The fact is that those of us who are
members of REACT are also members of the radio club (or clubs) and CERT
members so, what do we offer? We used to do the coffee (safety) breaks, we
used to do the things that CERT does now (traffic management, parking, SAR,
Parade Marshals, etc.) but at some point we decided that we (not all teams)
were only communicators! I've said this on these lists before but, in my
first team, Clinch Valley REACT in Tazewell County, VA., we did LOTS of
public service. Not only coffee breaks but highway safety patrols and the
things listed above. The Sherriff's office dispatcher had a radio that was
always on and we could contact the dispatcher directly. During other events
such as snow storms and the night before Halloween and Halloween night we
had a set up in the Dept. of Highways office.

I think to a large extend we have "shot ourselves in the foot" by leaving
some of those things behind.

Just one more though, in our county and I dare say most of the US (because
of DHS / FEMA) if an organization is not NIMS compliant there no place at
the table for that organization.

Paul

Paul - W4ATN

FM18qw