[REACT-LIST] To the REACT Teams and their Members in Region 5

ChuckTho at aol.com ChuckTho at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 02:49:27 EST 2016

It is unfortunate that Mr. Walters took it upon himself to comment upon a
situation about which he knows virtually nothing.

I was waiting for a list of the email addresses for all of the Teams and
individual members in Region 5 to fill you in on my election by the RI Board
of  Directors to fill the vacant position of Region 5  Director, which
expires in about 6 months.

Over the weekend, I learned that no one from Region 5 had stepped forward
and offered to serve the Region as their Director. I called Larry Fry, who
well represented Region 5 for more than a decade, and offered to take on
the challenge provided (1) he would recommend it to the Board and (2) TriCity
REACT would allow me to join their Team.

Larry approved and I was allowed to join TriCity REACT (Unit 315 R).

My name was submitted to the RI Board by Director Jerry Jones (Region 7)
and Larry Fry was contacted by the Board to verify the information and
recommendation. At the conclusion of the Board meeting, I was unanimously
elected to serve as Director until the upcoming election process is over in  early
July.

I committed to Larry, and to the Board, that I would run for (re)election
in Region 5, but that if a suitable candidate (not Mr. Walters) presented
him/herself, I would immediately withdraw. It is not my intention to deprive
Region 5 of its own home-grown Director, it is only to serve the Region
which  has been without a Director for several years).

It is my intention to fully represent Region 5. My wife, Judy, and I have
already discussed the possibility of visiting some of the Teams in the next
few  months. As soon as I receive the email addresses from REACT
International, I  will begin regular communications with Region 5's Teams and
individual members,  keeping all informed and being of assistance when I can.

I am 81 years old, but still fully active in life and in REACT. I am a
retired attorney (Texas, US Supreme Court), I am retired as a colonel, US Army
(I was/am a field artilleryman). I served as an enlisted man in the Montana
 National Guard 1953-55, on active Army duty as an officer 1955-1963, in
the  Texas Army National Guard 1963-1975, and in the Army Reserve until I
retired in  1985 -- a total of 32 years serving our country. For three years
(1966-69)  I served as Assistant Dean and Assistant Professor of Law at the
Southern  Methodist University School of Law, from which I graduated third in
my class (of  about 95) in 1966 (yes, I was employed as Asst Dean and Asst
Roof of Law  immediately upon graduation from SMU Law).

In REACT, I have served as Field Director, Vice President, President, Vice
President & General Counsel, General Counsel, and Secretary. For the past
three years, I have been a regular advisor to President Capodanno, and have
completed a number of projects benefiting REACT International. I have been
a behind-the-scenes assistant editor for many issues of the REACTer,
starting in  2005. In 1998, I was a member of the Bylaws & Policies Committee and
together with Johnny Stowers, significantly rewrote the Bylaws to preclude
many  of the unfortunate actions of the Board prior to 1998. I am Life
Member 147,  having become a LM in 1982.

I have been a member of Dallas County REACT since 1 April 1976 -- almost 40
 years. During that time, I have been president 3 times (for 1 year, 14
years,  and 3 years, my last stint ending in November 2014). I have also served
as the  Team's secretary and treasurer for many  years, and am currently
acting  secretary and assistant treasurer. The last General Meeting of Dallas
County  REACT that I missed was in January 1978 -- at that meeting I missed
because of  Army Reserve duty, I was elected secretary of DCR, and have
managed not to miss  a meeting since! If you're counting, that's 38 years.
During that same period, I  have missed only one DCR Board meeting. I do
participate in REACT!

I have been a licensed GMRS user (KAD 4253) since 1982 and a licensed ham
radio operator (N5IAG, General class) since 1983. For about 25 years,
1970-1995,  Dallas County REACT operated a central base station on Channel 9 -- I
am the  third highest on the list of hours monitored there, second only to a
couple of  retired members who monitored 5 hours a day, 5 days a week! I
still maintain a  CB base station at home, as well as GMRS and amateur
stations.

As soon as I can get y'alls email addresses (yep, I am a native-born
Texan), I'll be in contact and will be able to better serve Region 5. I will do
so because I want to serve the Region, not to besmirch the character  of
someone else.

Incidentally, I'm available on Skype, username ChuckTho. You might have  to
send me an email (_chucktho at aol.com_ (mailto:chucktho at aol.com) ) ahead of
time  -- I'm receiving up to 5 requests a day from persons of shady character
and I  accept only those where I know the caller.

REACTively,

             Chuck
Charles A (Chuck) Thompson LM 147
Director, Region 5, REACT International, Inc.