[REACT-LIST] After-Event Report

Ron McCracken ron.mccr at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:18:35 EDT 2015

Good report indeed. REACT Team leaders can learn tactics from it to enhance member satisfaction and safety at events. Several points raised here obviously occurred previously, but evidently were ignored.

>Study 'after-event' reports if you ask members to submit them. Learn from them, and apply the lessons. Credit members for reporting needs for improvement.

>Over-staffing at a given station is unwise. That had been done before. It can affect morale. Keep 'reserve' staff at the base and alert them to the important role they have been assigned.

 >Layers of clothing are vital. Stress that, especially with novices, for their safety.

>Plastic-coated maps are essential to ensure reliability in foul weather.

>Transport is a real possibility; be sure vehicles are clear to allow that. It may be urgent.

In a 100-mile event, efficiency becomes critical. Gas is costly. Time is precious. High morale is key. You likely spotted other matters in the report that required prior attention. Discuss them as your Team plans for future events. How well you handle them makes as important an impression on event organizers and first responders as how well you operate on the air.

Some of the items addressed in this report could affect both your Team personnel and event participants adversely, so they are very important. Take 'after-event' reports very seriously to ensure that the flaws they reveal do not recur. You don't want a tragedy to occur on your watch. Some of these had that potential. Blessings