[REACT-LIST] Why Should REACT use CB Radio

Paul Bowling - W4ATN Paul at W4ATN.com
Fri Jul 3 08:37:49 EDT 2015

Tom, Stan, Jay, Et. Al.,

I agree with all that has been said. Although you may not use all of the tools in your toolbox daily there is no need to throw them away. It may be that one day that you really need that small widget that takes up so little space!

That being said I think Jay and Stan make a point that may be lost in all of this discussion about CBs and their point is not about communications but about the missions of REACT. Back in the 72 when I first became involved in REACT our mission was completely different, our emphasis was on HIGHWAY SAFETY! We monitored CB, talked to the truckers and others, gave directions (now taken over by GPS devices), help with accidents, assisted with traffic and parking. At some point along the way we became “communicators” and, in a way, in direct competition with ARES / RACES.

Then along came CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) and took up the slack that we used to do. Our CERT is heavily involved with our local Public Service folks and local ower utility. We assist with crowd control, are Parade Marshalls, assist with traffic control, provide parking assistance at large events, assist the Health Department with “drive through” immunizations (again traffic and parking control) and provide education on emergency and disaster preparedness. Many of these things my old REACT team used to do but now we are “communicators” and do NOTHING! We have a huge ARES and RACES involvement in our area and given the equipment that ARES / RACES members have at their disposal … we can only bring CB / GMRS to the table. Although there are several GMRS repeaters in our area I can go days without hearing anyone on them and CB is so noisy I don’t bother to monitor. I do monitor our marine channels but haven’t responded because USCG is across the river from me.

I think the decline of REACT is more about mission definition than just CB. If we were to get back to the original missions we would be doing the jobs that our local CERT is doing and we would be using CB and the transportation community would notice.

BTW, I like the idea of announcing the weather reports on CB. I have three weather radios at home but nothing that I travel with. Giving weather updates would be very useful. Maybe we should consider incorporating that into our Ops Plan.

Thanks everyone for reading my rambling, back to monitor mode!!

73,

Paul

W4ATN

Amateur, Marine, GMRS and yes, CB (sometimes)