[REACT-LIST] Why Should REACT use CB Radio

Stan AB3EM ab3emqsl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:37:11 EDT 2015

Hello Jay,

REACT teams need to keep all the tools they can in their tool box. By that I am saying I agree with you, you are right on. Cellphones are great when a truck driver needs to call his/her HQ for info, perhaps the destination, etc. But on the road, total strangers cannot use cellphones to communicate because 1) they don’t know each others number and 2) other than hands free, cellphone use is illegal when driving in most states whereas two-way radio use is NOT. But not all teams have major interstates or even state highways in their coverage area so CB may not be worthwhile for them. One REACTer told me trucks don’t use CB in TX so they got out of CB (truckers in TX have told me the opposite, just sayin).  So CB is not a fit for everyone. But where it is, it should be exploited for the good of the driving community. FRS and GMRS may be crowded in places. California and the Great Lakes have very active GMRS repeater groups. And don’t forget MURS, 5 channels near/in the old VHF business band, 2 watts on HTs, mobiles and bases but no repeaters allowed. Its better in foliage then FRS so good for SAR work. And there are teams with Part 90 licenses too.

Anyway, your point is a good one, no team should turn its nose up on any viable Part 95 service or Part 90 license it may be able to use for good. By the way Jay, you DO have a great looking REACT ride!

York County REACT monitors CB9 or 19 depending on skip and interference. We make mostly weather  related announcements to alert the driving public of severe weather approaching the area. But we do handle an occasional call for assistance or a poor driver report. We have given directions on the air and even provided an escort to a few big rigs off the main road.

Keep up the good work Chief Jay,
73
Stan

Stan Walters, President