[REACT-LIST] [REACTINTL] Grants for Your Team?

Ron McCracken ron.mccr at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:32:33 EST 2015

Good advice, Will. Our Team has had no involvement with United Way. However, a small Christian organization here did engage with them years ago and was devastated. Grantors will check out your Team. Teams need to check out potential grantors carefully, too. I expect the Christian group failed to do that.

Our Team has received small grants from local Lions and Optimists clubs. Both were ideal to work with. That is why I suggested starting locally with organizations your Team knows well. Most Teams do not need large grants so there is less need to go farther afield, especially at first until you get a feel for the grant process. Neither the Lions nor the Optimists required our Team to sign anything.

If a grantor wants you to sign, that should likely raise a red flag and indicate that more caution is needed. Study any such document carefully with others on your Team before proceeding. Grantors will impose reasonable restrictions to ensure that moneys are spent as your Team indicated. They will expect a grant for radios to be spent on radios, logically. They will not normally expect to dictate how the radios will be used by your Team, other than for lawful purposes and the public good. Thanks for alerting us.