[REACT-LIST] Grants for Your Team?

Ron McCracken ron.mccr at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 10:29:29 EST 2015

Region 9 Director Robbie posted a recommended book about ham radio on Facebook that you might want to check out.

Grants are something else that have long interested Teams. Some have sought and received grants. A new book that can help if your Team is keen is Grant Writing for Dummies. I picked up a copy at the library so you need not buy it unless you wish to.

It is worth a look even if you have had success before. You are likely familiar with the format that makes it easy to use. The 'Tips' and 'Warnings' right in the margins are worth their weight in gold. They can save you a lot of grief and wasted hard work. Checking those alone is very worthwhile regardless of how experienced you are. Things change, so you must keep up. Reminders of the basics are well worthwhile too.

Start small is my advice. Local service clubs or other community organizations exist in part to help other groups like your Team succeed and prosper. Our Team has had several grants from the Lions, Optimists, etc. That may be as far as your Team needs to look. Meanwhile, there is nothing like success to encourage you as you tackle grants from farther afield if you need more funding than local groups can offer.

Safety and Education are the focuses of REACT Teams so check those categories when seeking potential grantors. Your library will have directories to help you. Some grantors limit their gifts to  specific states/provinces, so look for those first. Ask only for what your Team absolutely needs and you will enhance your likelihood of success.

Grant Writing for Dummies will help just about anyone who is seeking a grant for his Team. Give it a close look before you begin. It and other tools can make a big difference and help your Team win its grant request.

If your Team has had success with grant requests, please share your stories and tips here to encourage others. Best wishes.